By combining high-quality research and design skills, we allowed Les Mills to connect with their customers from across the globe. The final personas ...
Customer journey mapping: case study
UX drives innovation for Amadeus ePower
Amadeus ePower is a customisable online booking engine used by travel agents and travellers. We undertook customer journey mapping and persona development work to help Amadeus enhance understanding of customer goals, behaviours and experiences.
“Customer journey mapping has changed the way we perceive unmet needs and approach the development process… it’s a game changer for us.”
Tran Dzien Nguyen, Head of Online Solutions for Travel Agencies, Amadeus
Amadeus wanted to ensure a UX driven approach to product development, with an understanding of the customer journey central to this. We were commissioned to develop the customer journey mapping and persona development, with a series of research objectives that included:
- Understanding the end-to-end customer journeys for travel agents and travellers.
- Identifying unmet customer needs, and opportunities to improve customer experiences.
- Generating ideas for addressing unmet needs.
What we did
Customer journey mapping
The customer journey mapping work we undertook was completed in a 5 week period, as follows:
- Remote interviews and creation of a proto persona.
- Creation and facilitation of a 2 day workshop in Istanbul.
- Analysis of workshop outputs to create end-to-end customer journey maps.
- Creative design work, presenting the customer journey maps in a visually engaging and easy to digest format.
User interviews and persona development
Once the customer journey mapping and subsequent user testing work was completed, our researchers undertook user interviews and persona development work, incorporating:
- A pre-session exploration task, followed by a remote user interview session.
- Development of personas, and associated opportunities.
The Amadeus ePower team has gained powerful customer journey maps for its two primary user groups, travel agents and travellers.
Large printed versions of these maps are now prominently displayed in Amadeus offices, helping the team to connect with end users, identify gaps in the ePower offering, and spot opportunities to enhance the customer experience. The maps are integral to internal communications too – with the sales teams, for example – and are a key point of reference for future R&D work at the company.
“Customer journey mapping is a powerful tool. This process has built collective intelligence from across our commercial, developer, and implementation teams, and really has helped pull the team together,” says Tran Dzien Nguyen, Head of Online Solutions for Travel Agencies, Amadeus.
More like this
Our UX team’s always up for a challenge. So when a leading multi-national professional services client talked to us about a failing e-learning ...
As part of their ongoing work to improve the user experience of their online video players, the BBC wanted to conduct research with a range of users ...