Mickela specialises in:
- user experience research
- usability and accessibility testing and evaluations of products, interfaces and interactive systems
- accessibility audits against the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
- training UCD and digital accessibility.
Mickela is a principal consultant with System Concepts and has been with the company since 2007. She holds a BSc (Hons.) degree in Computer Science; and an MSc degree in Human-Computer Interaction with Ergonomics from University College London.
At System Concepts, Mickela has been involved in a wide range of consultancy work which has included inclusive user testing, focus groups, participative design, in-context research, ethnographic studies, rapid user testing, prototyping and accessibility audits against the WCAG v2.0 guidelines. She particularly enjoys the challenge of conducting research with varied user groups including disabled users and children in order to make websites, systems and applications usable and accessible to all. She has conducted user research across multiple platforms including mobile, tablet, kiosk and desktop. Mickela is an experienced project manager and has overseen the planning and preparation of numerous usability and accessibility projects.
Client Projects / Case Studies
- Project management (including research design, facilitation, quality review and presentation) of numerous usability and accessibility projects for key clients including the BBC, Sainsbury’s, LV=, Nationwide and John Lewis.
- Identifying requirements, developing use cases, personas and scenarios to help inform the redesign of a website for a leading telecommunication provider.
- Conducting user testing to identify usability and accessibility issues and developing practical recommendations to overcome these issues. Recent projects have included evaluation of multiple educational game for younger children across desktop, mobile, tablet and interactive white board.
- Conducting in-context sessions with tablet owners (including parents and children and older users) to understand how tablet devices are used in a shared environment.
- Conducting user testing of a paper and computer based products for Nationwide Building Society. Recently also evaluated the usability of a new ATM device.
- Conducting accessibility testing with disabled users across multiple devices. Recent projects have included user testing the Sainsbury’s grocery site. These sessions involved eliciting feedback from participants with a wide range of requirements, including participants with motor, hearing and vision impairments, as well as learning difficulties, and dyslexia.
- Conducting numerous desktop accessibility audits against the WCAG v2.0 guidelines for clients including John Lewis, the BBC, Accenture and Sainsbury’s.
- Conducting mobile accessibility reviews for a number of clients including Accenture and Amadeus across iOS and Android platforms. This involved conducting the review based on guidelines and expert knowledge, delivering a report of insights and recommendations and presenting the findings to key stakeholders.
- Presenting our Digital Accessibility and User Centered Design training courses.
Real life interests
- Wild life and nature
Keep up with Mickela on Linkedin at https://www.linkedin.com/pub/mickela-perera/3/504/971
Our Clients Say
..a deep understanding of our target children's audience and the best methods to obtain accurate and informative data from them.
John Brennan, Creative Director, CBBC website