Laura specialises in:
- office ergonomics
- display Screen Equipment (DSE)
- space planning and layouts
- health and safety audits, inspections and risk assessments
- consumer safety and product design
- disability access audits
Laura is a principal consultant with System Concepts. She holds a BSc (Hons.) in Biological Sciences from Napier University of Edinburgh, an MSc (Eng.) in Work Design and Ergonomics from the University of Birmingham, and a NEBOSH Diploma Level 6 in Health and Safety. She is a Chartered member of IOSH, a Registered Member of the Institute of Ergonomics and Human Factors, and registered on the Occupational Health and Safety Consultants Register.
She has over 15 years of ergonomics and health and safety experience and has provided research, consultancy and training services to both the Government and industry.
From 1996 to 2001 she was employed at the University of Nottingham where she worked jointly at the Institute for Occupational Ergonomics and the Product Safety and Testing Group. She was lead author of ADULTDATA - a handbook of anthropometric and physical strength data for designers (produced for the UK Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), and co-author of OLDER ADULTDATA - a sister publication containing design-relevant data on the older adult. She was also author of 'Strength Data for Design Safety' Phases 1 and 2, which are DTI publications containing a comprehensive collection of design-relevant strength measurements for children and adults of all ages.
Since joining System Concepts in 2001, Laura has been involved in a range of ergonomics and health and safety related projects.
Client Projects / Case Studies
- Conducting Display Screen Equipment (DSE) workstation assessments and specialist ergonomics assessments in line with the requirements of the Display Screen Equipment Regulations 1992 and other ergonomic best practice.
- Acting as a "competent person" for a number of clients and providing health, safety and ergonomics advice, guidance and support.
- Conducting audits of health and safety management systems, developing action plans and assisting with their implementation.
- Carrying out risk assessments, including fire, manual handling, driving, lone working, general workplace and work equipment, in line with relevant legislation.
- Conducting accessibility audits and assisting employers with satisfying the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995.
- Developing and updating health and safety policies and procedures.
- Developing design concepts and layouts for office and industrial workstations to ensure users are comfortably and safely accommodated.
- Usability testing and expert reviews of consumer products and literature.
- Researching compensation claims related to health and safety issues to identify trends and work activities which give rise to the most claims.
- Acting as an expert witness in a variety of cases.
Real life interests
Keep up with Laura on Linkedin at https://www.linkedin.com/pub/laura-milnes/43/7a3/4b
Our Clients Say
System Concepts has a strong track record of working with other leading international organisations and has become a key part of our team.
Christian Johnson, Manager of Ergonomics and Safety Programs. GE