Tanya specialises in:
- conducting ergonomics, health and safety assignments in a range of industrial, retail and office contexts
- generating practical solutions to ergonomics, health and safety problems for public and private sector clients
- usability evaluation of computer systems and products
- ergonomics work and workplace design to help avoid work-related musculoskeletal disorders
- work and workplace design to help avoid work-related musculoskeletal disorders
- strategic advice on implementing ergonomics
- preparing health and safety policies and procedures
- product evaluation using ergonomics best practice principles.
Tanya holds a B.A. (Hons) degree in Chemistry and Experimental Psychology from Oxford University, an MSc. in Ergonomics from London University, and a Master of Business Administration (MBA) from London Business School. She also holds a NEBOSH certificate with Distinction and an NVQ4 in occupational safety and health. She was a member of the Research Advisory Committee of the Food Standards Agency for six years. Tanya is a Fellow of the Institute of Ergonomics and Human Factors and a Chartered Member of the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health
Between 1998 and 2013 Tanya was an elected Member of the Council of the Consumers’ Association/Which Ltd, and in 2003 she was elected to Deputy Chair of the organisation. In 2008 she was appointed to the Which? Ltd Board as a non-executive Director to help drive the commercial success of the £70m turnover organisation. She retired from Council and the Which board in 2013 due to term limits.
Clients for whom Tanya carries out assignments on a regular basis include the HSE, Cadbury Ltd, Barclays Bank, Lloyds Banking Group, the TUC, Ernst and Young, Network Rail and the Highways Agency.
Prior to joining System Concepts, Tanya started her career as a graduate management trainee in the Human Factors Division at British Telecom Laboratories, working on projects concerned with the ergonomics of international switching centres and power management centres. She was responsible for assessing the user requirements for BT products aimed at the emergency control services and providing recommendations for their redesign.
Client Projects / Case Studies
- Conducting ergonomics consultancy assignments for clients in a wide range of industrial, retail and office contexts.
- Providing procurement ergonomics advice to help organisations choose products which will be most beneficial for their staff and customers productivity, satisfaction, health, safety and comfort
- Managing a team of eight consultants providing on and off site health, safety and ergonomics services to Ernst and Young
- Providing bank branch counter and workstation redesign, ergonomics, health and safety and disability advice for Barclays Bank, Lloyds Bank, and the Royal Bank of Scotland
- Preparing the cost/benefit case studies for ‘A Pain in Your Workplace: Ergonomics Problems and Solutions’; for Well Handled - Offshore Manual Handling Solutions, and for A Recipe for Safety: 100 Manual Handling Case Studies
- Planning, developing and conducting stress risk assessments for a major government department
- Conducting and managing a major research project for the Health and Safety Executive into the health effects of using portable computers
- Providing disability and equality advice to the Department for Transport, TUC, British Library, Barclays Bank and Ernst and Young.
- Planning and preparing product and software usability tests for a range of organisations including Citigroup, the BBC, Motorola and Hewlett Packard.
Real life interests
- Scuba-diving, only in warm water
- Playing bridge
Keep up with Tanya on Linkedin at http://uk.linkedin.com/in/tanyaheasman
Our Clients Say
The report was awesome - super clear and informative.
Francie Zant, Microsoft Media Center team